PRA Archery Instruction Programs
Beginning and intermediate archery
class in the lower arroyo
- Who: The classes are open to all residents of Pasadena and Southern California. We serve archers from over 125 Zip Codes. All are welcome.
- Ages: Children under 10 years old are offered an evaluation and introductory archery session every Saturday morning at 8:30 AM at Target 1. All young archers must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (this is a shooting sport, and all students, regardless of age, must, in the opinion of the instruction staff, be able to safely and comfortably handle the equipment).
- When: Every Saturday. Classes are held every Saturday throughout the year except for Christmas and New Years, and when it is raining. The program may be cancelled occasionally to allow the club to be a participant in City-sponsored community events. Advanced notice of cancellations will be given on the preceding Saturday.
- Time: First timer archery classes run from 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM. Returning archery classes run from 10:30 AM to Noon. Students should be at the range no later than 7:15 AM to be fitted for their equipment. Returning archers should arrive by 9:45 AM. No reservations or signups are required.
- Cost: The Safety and Orientation class is free for first time archers. There is a small donation for subsequent classes.
- Equipment: All necessary archery equipment is provided. Participants need not purchase any equipment to begin their training. We recommend use of club equipment and not buying your own until you have been through the BAIP class.
- Maximum Class Size: Archery classes are offered on a first-come-first- served basis. Archers are encouraged to arrive early as classes fill quickly.
- Group Instruction: Pasadena Roving Archers welcomes youth and social groups to its range for group archery instruction. Group leaders should contact PRA at email@example.com to schedule a group session. There is a small fee for group lessons. Please do not bring a group of five or more people to our regular Saturday morning instruction program. We have a very limited number of volunteer staff and are unable to accommodate the additional load of groups in the morning. More information on group instruction can be found here
Coach (right) helping a first time
- Pre-Registration: There is no pre-registration or sign-up for classes, but, subject to equipment availability and range safety considerations, some may have to wait until a later date.
- What to Wear: Weather conditions vary widely during a day at the range. Participants should dress in layers. Wear clothes with non-bulky, snug-fitting sleeves (properly fitted long-sleeve T's and sweatshirts are OK). Clothes must be free of large buttons, pins, badges, or other things on the front that can be caught in the bow string. Bring something to tie back long hair. The range is a woodland area and is uneven, dusty and dirty - footwear with heels or open-toes is not suitable. Do not wear sandals, flip-flops, bare feet or "foot glove" type socks. Participants with long hair should bring a hair band to hold the hair back in a pony tail.
- What to Bring With You: A bottle of water - while water is available on the range, it is not convenient to the instruction area. Bring a soft brimmed hat and sunscreen. Particularly important in the summer.
- BAIP Class: We also offer a 7 week sequential class in archery shooting form called the Basic Archery Instruction Program (BAIP). The BAIP class requires an advance signup, approval by one of the beginning instructors to proceed to the BAIP class, a donation and a commitment to come to the range for seven consecutive weeks. More information on the BAIP class can be found here.
- Group Instruction Pasadena Roving Archers welcomes youth and social groups to its range for group archery instruction. Group leaders should contact PRA at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a group session. There is a small fee for group lessons. We ask group leaders not to bring their groups to our public Saturday morning session as the extra people in a group can easily overwhelm our volunteer instruction staff resources. More information on group instruction can be found here.
- More Information: For additional information contact email@example.com or call (626) 577-7252.
TOP of page