Safety is of the utmost importance on the archery range, which is located on City of Pasadena park land and shared by other users. The City has adopted a set of rules that govern the behavior of both archers and other park users on the range. These rules can be found on the City’s website, and are reproduced below.
The rules can be enforced by law; if a PRA officer, instructor or member informs you that your conduct is in violation of the rules, please do not argue with them or try to explain why you should be exempted from the rules. We will be nicer about it than the police will.
Lower Arroyo Archery Range Rules
- Individuals must prominently display City issued archery credentials when using the Lower Arroyo Archery Range. Exceptions include students under the direction supervision of instructors certified by USA Archery or NFAA and USA Archery or NFAA members participating in their first PRA-sponsored event (and are capable of producing membership materials)
- Non-archery activities are prohibited within the boundaries of the Lower Arroyo Archery Range
- Practicing archery outside of the boundaries of the Lower Arroyo Archery Range is prohibited.
- Broadhead arrows, crossbows, sling shots, knives, hatches and firearms (including BB, pellet, paintball guns or air riles) are prohibited.
- Sky drawing (aka sky loading) is prohibited. Arrows shall be pointed down or at the target only while being drawn.
- Arrows shall not be shot from a position beyond the farthest marker in any shooting lane.
- When retrieving arrows, all archers shall walk forward together.
- When searching for lost arrows, someone shall be posted in front of the target bale and/or lean a bow across the target bale to alert other archers of your presence.
- Care for the protection of land and wildlife shall be shown at all times.
- Should people or animals appear between an archer and the target, bows shall not be drawn.
- Alcohol and smoking are prohibited within the Lower Arroyo Archery Range.
- The Lower Arroyo Archery Range is open during park hours for the Lower Arroyo (sunrise to sunset). The range is open for public archery except when:
a. Being used for organized activities by the Pasadena Roving Archers according to a City approved use schedule
b. Reserved by another individuals or organization with a City permit or other City authorization.
- Children under age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
In addition to the rules enumerated above, all other rules and laws applicable to the City’s parks are applicable within the Lower Arroyo Archery Range. (Pasadena Municipal Code 3.24 Article 3 Use Restrictions)
Violations of rules for the Lower Arroyo Archery Range will be subject to general penalty provisions set forth in Chapter 1.24 of the Pasadena Municipal Code.
Pasadena Municipal Code – Chapter 3.24 Parks and Public Grounds
Any person, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine in a sum not to exceed $500.00, or by imprisonment in the city jail for a period not to exceed 6 months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the range (City of Pasadena law).
- No smoking is permitted in the park (City of Pasadena law).
- Killing of any animal (gophers, birds, snakes, etc.) is prohibited. (City of Pasadena law).
- Absolutely no cutting of trees, shrubs or flowers. (City of Pasadena Law).